WTF elections take place every four years. The 2017 election for the WTF President, WTF Council Members and WTF Auditors will take place at the WTF’s General Assembly in Muju, Korea. The election will select the organization’s president, 12 council members and two auditors.
There is one applicant for the post of WTF President: Incumbent leader, Dr. Chungwon Choue of Korea.
There are 28 applications for the 12 places on the WTF Council (please see list at bottom). These break down as follows: Three applications from Africa; nine from Asia; eight from Europe; two from Oceania; and six from Pan America. There are three positions available on the WTF Council for members from Asia, Europe, Pan America; two from Africa; and one from Oceania. Wins are based on simple majority voting.
There are two applicants for the two WTF Auditor positions. Both are incumbents.
Also on June 23, after the General Assembly, there will be further elections for the presidencies of the WTF’s five Continental Unions (Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceania, Pan America), at the Continental Union General Assembly. Those elected became ex-officio WTF Vice Presidents automatically.
After the candidate application deadline of March 25, Korea time, the WTF’s Ad Hoc Elections Committee reviewed all applications submitted to confirm that they satisfied the requirements listed in the application. The resultant list, together with additional information about such matters as the election procedures, was distributed to members on April 24.
Even for those positions for which there is only one candidate, electors will be asked to give the candidates their vote of approval.
The day after the elections, June 24 , the world championships will kick off in Taekwondwon, a purpose-built facility in the Muju valley, for a seven-day run.
A final election will take place amid the championships, on June 28, for the co-chairs of the WTF Athlete Committee. The current 12 members will vote two members (one female, one male) to head their committee. The two committee heads voted in will become ex-officio WTF Council Members automatically.
List of Candidates for the 2017 Elections of Officials For the 2017-2021 Quadrennial
President (1 candidate)
- Chungwon Choue (WTF)
Auditor (2 candidates)
- Ali Sagirkaya (WTF Auditor)
- Dalibor Krpan (WTF Auditor)
Council Members: (28 candidates)
Africa (3 candidates)
- Dawit Asfaw (Ethiopian Taekwondo Federation)
- Driss Hilali (WTF Council Member)
- Issaka Ide (WTF Council Member)
Asia (9 candidates)
- Raja Waseem Ahmed (Pakistan Taekwondo Federation)
- Mohamed A.K. Al-Sulaiti (WTF Council Member)
- Ahmed Hamdan Al Zeyoudi (U.A.E. Taekwondo Federation)
- An-Chin Hsu (Chinese Taipei Amateur Taekwondo Association)
- Kook Hyun Jung (WTF Council Member)
- Mohd Nazifuddin Bin Mohd Najib (Taekwondo Malaysia)
- Hazem Ahmad Awwad Naimat (WTF Council Member)
- Seyed Mohammad Pouladgar (I.R. Iran Taekwondo Federation)
- Khwaja Hashmatullah Rasa (Afghanistan National Taekwondo Federation)
Europe (8 candidates)
- Slavtcho Binev (Bulgarian Taekwondo Federation)
- Jesus Castellanos Pueblas (WTF Council Member)
- Angelo Cito (Federazione Italiana Taekwondo)
- Søren Holmgård Knudsen (Danish Taekwondo Federation)
- Anto Nobilo (Croatian Taekwondo Federation)
- José Luis Resende Ferreira e Sousa (Federação Portuguesa de Taekwondo)
- Metin Sahin (WTF Council Member)
- Anatoly K. Terekhov (WTF Council Member)
Oceania (2 candidates)
- Hassan Iskander (Australian Taekwondo)
- Tae Kyung Kim (WTF Council Member)
America (6 candidates)
- Maria Borello (WTF Council Member)
- Inseon Kim (Taekwondo Canada)
- Juan Manuel Lopez Delgado (WTF Council Member)
- Mario Mandel Vaisman (Federacion Chilena de Taekwondo)
- Daiwon Moon (WTF Council Member)
- Henderson Turton (Barbados Taekwondo Association)
Claudio Aranda, Exclusive MasTKD