The first edition of the Grand Prix is coming and will be treated as a Final. It will define the foundations of the new qualifying process towards Rio 2016 Olympics. This is the Series on which the WTF has placed all its confidence and bet all its cards to bring Taekwondo to another level.
Let’s start by mentioning that the Grand Prix first edition will be G8 category, and for this time only, 32 athletes per category will be invited, since in the future Final events only eight athletes per category will be invited, the top eight, according to the WTF World Ranking. This modification, according to the WTF, has been made so more National Associations and their athletes have the opportunity to attend the opening event of the Grand Prix Series next December.
G8 Category will award the following Ranking Points:
1st. Place: 80 points.
2nd.Place: 48 points.
3rd. Place: 28.8 points.
5th. Place: 17.28 points.
One place will be awarded to the host country, in this case the UK, so the WTF will invite 31 competitors per weight category. It is expected that the official list will be announced in the coming days.
The process of confirmation is the following:
- The WTF sent the invitation to the pertinent National Associations the first week of September.
- The National Associations must confirm their participation within 2 weeks after receiving the invitation. Once the confirmation is done, no changes will be allowed.
- If a National Association does not confirm the participation of its athlete before November 13, this athlete will be replaced by the next best ranked athlete based on the latest ranking, emphasizing that the new athlete will not necessarily be of the same nationality.
- If a National Association informs that its athlete will not participate on or after November 13 the place will be canceled and will not be replaced.
- Finally, the online registration will be opened no later than November 13, 2013
If you are wondering what method of competition will be used, it is simple: a single elimination. Each National Association may have a maximum of 2 competitors per category if it were the case.
Regarding the drawing of lots and seeding, the top eight in the WTF Olympic Ranking will be seeded and the remaining 24 athletes will be drawn randomly.
MasTaekwondo.com will follow up the information and details of this important event within our sport, and will keep you posted.
Alex Korram, Exclusive masTaekwondo.com