In the press release issued today by the WTF, it states that the Federation continues its efforts to promote the values of courage, determination, inspiration and equality in Paralympics sports.
Just before the WTF Council meeting, Dr. Chungwon Choue, WTF President signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Cerebral Palsy International Sport and Recreation Association (CPISRA) and the International Sport Federation for Para-Athletes with Intellectual Disability (INAS).
According to information provided by the WTF, the ceremony was attended by Dr. Chungwon Choue, WTF President, Mr. Koos Engelbrecht, President of CPISRA, and Mr. Nick Parr, Executive Director of INAS. The ceremony was also attended by Jean-Marie Ayer, WTF Secretary General, WTF Executive Council members, several presidents and general secretaries of the various associations, and several members of some WTF committees.
The purpose of signing this Memorandum of Understanding, which was held last Friday June 7, is to develop new disciplines in the Para-Taekwondo, focusing on Poomsae.
Dr. Choue said about it:
“I am proud to announce that the WTF signed MOUs with the International Sport Federation for Para-Athletes with Intellectual Disability and the Cerebral Palsy International Sport and Recreation Association to work together to include new competitors and disciplines into Para-Taekwondo.
“Para-taekwondo is fast becoming a popular sport globally and it is testament to how far the sport has spread since the inaugural World Championships in 2009 that the 59 medals handed out at the tournament were distributed amongst 20 different countries.”
According to the WTF press release, the agreements between the institutions are the following:
- To conduct audits among its members to find out the interest for and number of athletes practicing Para-Taekwondo.
- To cooperate for the establishment of specific classification and competition rules for Para-Taekwondo.
- The WTF agrees to promote Para-Taekwondo for athletes with cerebral palsy or intellectual disabilities among its 204 Member National Associations.
- Para-Taekwondo for athletes with cerebral palsy or intellectual disabilities should be included as a INAS and CPISRA promoted event in the 5th WTF Para-Taekwondo Championships to be held in 2014.
- The WTF will actively work to fulfill all requirements to become a CPISRA and INAS members and recognized sport and to be included on the program of the World Games and Global Games.
- CPISRA, INAS and WTF agree to work for the inclusion of Para-Taekwondo in the Paralympics Games.
WTF Secretary General, Mr. Jean-Marie Ayer said about this significant agreement:
“Organizations such as INAS and CPISRA provide extraordinary pathways towards sport for those who have intellectual and neurological differences. I believe our next steps are working with both of these great new partners to develop grass-roots programs to nurture new disciplines within taekwondo.”
Beatriz Rodriguez, masTaekwondo Team