The communication was sent to all MNAs and also published on the WTF official website, in which the Secretary General describes this year as historic for Taekwondo, noting the various events taking place in several parts of the world related to our sport, with particular emphasis to four events in particular.
1) In June, in Lausanne, Switzerland, the Fourth World Para-Taekwondo Championships will be held, along with the Swiss Open 2013. The WTF is working on a roadmap to ensure that within five years the Taekwondo is positioned to be included in the Paralympics.
2) In July, the Taekwondo Family will meet in the beautiful city of Puebla, Mexico, for the 2013 World Taekwondo Championships. At this time, the WTF elections will take place in order to elect WTF Officials for the next four-year period. According to the statement sent by Mr. Ayer, the WTF Elections Bylaws will set a new standard of openness, fairness and transparency.
3) In November, Bali, Indonesia will host the Eight WTF World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships and the Taekwondo family will celebrate the 40th WTF Anniversary. During this event, the Freestyle will be featured for the second time in a world championship. According to the WTF statement, the feedback received from professional international media, the Freestyle dynamic format has the potential to generate a much greater interest, which may reach new audiences far beyond the enthusiastic fans of the martial arts.
4) Finally, in December the WTF expects to inaugurate the WTF Grand Prix, the professionalized and ultra elite event created by the WTF in order to “raise Taekwondo competition to a new level of sports spectacle”, said Ayer in his statement.
// < ![CDATA[
// < ![CDATA[
“We are confident that the OIC Session will confirm Taekwondo´s place on the Olympic Program through 2020, but we can also anticipate that, just like every other sport, Taekwondo will need to demonstrate a clear improvement for every edition of the Games or risk getting behind” he said.
He also emphasized that in order to compete in this new reality as a organization, they should be focused and dedicated, and they must cherish their best athletes. “We must become more effective and more efficient, and must work together to strengthen the Taekwondo Movement.” he continued.
“It is with this in mind that I am pleased to announce that the WTF has created a new Development Program to allow us to channel our resources to the areas with the greatest potential for a positive impact on our sport.”
Unlike previous years, the allocation of funds will not be proportional to each MNA. Instead, the new program is designed to give more flexibility in assisting financially in special programs and initiatives. There are four categories of development programs:
1) The WTF will automatically deduct payment of the annual MNA membership, except those who explicitly wish to pay their own fees by other means. By doing so, WTF wants to reduce the administrative burden associated with these fees.
2) To ensure more opportunities for participation, the WTF will provide financial support to a limited number of MNA’s to attend selected events. Because it is expected to have a high demand, this assistance will be approved strictly on financial need.
3) To assist in the development at the grassroots, the WTF will continue to help the MNA’s in the early stages of Taekwondo promotion in their respective regions, ensuring the Value-in-Kind support, with equipment and training material. This assistance will also be approved strictly on a need basis.
4) With the new Development Program, the WTF will introduce the category “Programs / Projects”. This category will help WTF to indentify and fund useful projects to benefit the whole movement of Taekwondo. Approval will be based on the potential value-added contribution that the project can give to the organization and taekwondo.
As you see, most of the funds will be provided based on a thorough analysis. Details of Program Development and application forms are now available on the WTF official website. You can also find them here to download.